Friday, April 19, 2013

Perfection


“I am perfectly imperfect, for I am human, and that is good.  I strive not for perfection, but for understanding and love.  I work toward spiritual progress, not perfection.  Our imperfection is what makes us perfect in our own ways and it's what makes us different and special from the others.”
-- Unknown

When I was a teenager, I prided myself on my perfectionism.  I did my homework as perfectly as possible.  I got an "A" in every subject.  In shop class (everyone took “trade” classes in those days), I built perfect birdhouses and such.  I achieved and carried my perfectionism into my workaholism that followed.  I put great pressure on myself.

www.etsy.com
Truth be known, I was not so perfect!  I missed something in my education.  I missed an understanding of my humanness and that of others.  I judged most of my peers as less than I, and those who were stronger or had more stuff as better than I.  I was either a grandiose egocentric or a victim of my own envy and lacking.

We often become mired in either envy or pity for other people.  Our judgments about them and about ourselves create barriers to acceptance, connection, and intimacy.  We strut our stuff in egoism, wallow in self-pity, or flog through life without passion.  We escape our dilemma through excessive work, depression, or addiction.  We fail to deal with our own imperfections and we project our anger and sadness onto others. 

www.telegraph.co.uk
During my recent journey toward awareness, I read the book “The Spirituality of Imperfection” by Ernest Kurtz.  This powerful volume helped me realize that our imperfections constitute our humanity.  It helped me accept my deficiencies and limitations as a human and heed the call to fulfill my soul’s longings.

As you work your way out of the torpor of your past, realize that all people are equal at some level, the soul level.  The material trappings of this world, the physical form we have taken on, and our position in society or career have little meaning at the soul level.  These things only serve to provide the lessons for our personal and spiritual growth.

Pay attention to your imperfections, but only to learn and grow from your new awareness, not to judge yourself.  Use them as a way of growing toward your soul’s imprint in all aspects of your living.  Exchange your judgments of others for openness, compassion, and unity.  Remember too, “You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here”[1]… just as you are!

www.openculture.com
Finally, I believe that perfection in this life is available only in our connection with God.  For it is the perfection of God’s spirit that makes our relationship with God perfect.  Your soul yearns for that union and the sense of perfect love and peace it can bring.  All imperfections fade in such light!

-- Pete


[1] Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, 1927.

1 comment:

jan said...

For me it makes more sense to live from a perspective of humility than to even think about striving for perfection. Still, one can wish...