Friday, May 3, 2013

X-factors


“When you walk to the edge of all the light you have and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, you must believe that one of two things will happen.  There will be something solid for you to stand upon or you will be taught to fly.”
― Patrick Overton, The leaning tree: [poems]


In algebra, ”X” represents the unknown quantity.  So many things are hidden from us in this plane of existence, yet it is worth our striving to find the formulae for our lives that unlock the unknowns, the mysteries, which can offer greater guidance on our journey.  It is through our work toward awareness, a consciousness of the mysteries and a delving into their meanings, which can bring greater understanding and fulfillment to our lives.  Simply contemplating an x-factor can bring insight and wisdom.

When I consider the mystery of life, I become aware that my life has purpose and meaning, not only for others, but also in the edification of my soul.  That mere revelation is enough an answer to understanding the essence of life.  If I contemplate the immensity and mysteries of the universe, I begin to awaken to my values of humility, and I awaken to the idea of God.

www.tumblr.com
If I think about the mystery of the soul, I come to a deep feeling of gratitude for the image of divinity within me.  This mystery directs my comings and goings on this planet as I listen to its stirrings and quiet voice.

X-factors are not meant to cause consternation or frustration.  Although we may never fathom them, we can be aware of their effects on our lives and draw meaning and motivation from them.

-- Pete

1 comment:

jan said...

The unknown is part of the great adventure. It holds every possibility for us. It is the mystery.